Re: MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM, John H. Robinson, IV <jaqque@debian.org> wrote:
> > Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > > That's not our problem, is it?
> >
> > It is, if we are trying to be as compatible as possible.
>
> Compatible with what? Bugs in other implementations?
> What does that really gain us?

The ability for the discs to be read on as many systems as possible. I'm
not going to pretend to know what all someone else may need to do with
the data, but making it as readable as possible is certainly a laudable
goal.

A plausible scenario is someone having downloaded the images, burned
them, and is now trying to read them prior to installation. If they are
performing this on a Microsoft or Apple OS, and the filenames are
corrupted, the implication is that the images are either corrupt or the
burn was otherwise bad.

How many times is a person going to attempt to fix the perceived problem
before they give up? "What is wrong with this so-called Universal
Operating System? I can't even read the discs!"

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((