Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 09:41:31PM +0200, Soren Hansen wrote:
> Let me put this differently..
>
> If there's a DD out there who wants to work *with* us and get OpenStack
> (and all its dependencies, which is really the tedious part) into
> Debian, I'd the *thrilled* to work with you. There's a number of things
> that are needed, new packages as well as patches to existing ones, but
> given that we've made it happen once already in Ubuntu, it should
> definitely be an approachable amount of work.

Thanks for this second version Soren. I understand that in view of past,
reversed sides, complaints it's not easy to read a proposal of build
system and VCS change. Considering all this, Thomas and other people
interested to work on Openstack, can you please in the beginning try to
stay close to the build system used on the current packaging and use the
same VCS, unless you have compelling reasons not to do so?

Let's remember that in Debian we are compelled to be good downstream for
all the software we package, whether it comes from "pure" upstreams or
from other distribution upstreams. Staying to close to upstream is just
a basic step that will make it easier to give back our changes to
upstream.

Given the availability of Soren to work together, it would be great if
additionally you can converge to work on the same team with a common
VCS, with different branches for each target distribution.

I'm looking forward to a great set of Openstack packages for Debian,
Cheers.