Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 01:04:45AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I'm considering packaging Openstack cloud computing system for
> Debian. There's already another DD that expressed his interest for it.

So, I've met a couple of times during the last year people from
Rackspace (the company behind Openstack) and discussed with them Debian
packaging of Openstack. One of those people is Soren Hansen, who has
already chimed in this thread.

In those discussions, they declared their interest in packaging
Openstack for Debian. They seemed in general quite excited about Debian,
although clearly they haven't yet finalized the necessary steps for
actually *having* Openstack in Debian (no package is in the Debian
archive yet ...).

I was about to point you to the people from Rackspace to collaborate
with, but well, that step is no longer needed as Soren has noticed this
thread already.

> I already started in fact. I took the work made in Ubuntu, and did a
> bit of rework (I didn't like the rules.tiny debhelper style with so
> many overrides, or the fact that the rules didn't use setup.py...).
<snip>
> Also, Openstack is using bzr, and I know only (CVS and) Git. Does
> anyone have good pointers to documentation not aimed at newbies, so
> I don't waste my time too much?

On this respect, I tend to agree with Soren. I believe it's in the
interest of Debian to avoid unnecessary deviations from the packaging
it's already been done for other Debian-based distro(s). Even more so, I
believe it would be in our interest to try to work together, having a
single packaging team to which all interested parties have access.

Of course, whoever will be doing the work in Debian is free to choose
how to do that and you're entitled to question existing choice and to
make better choices. But please, think of the kittens. Any change that
will make more difficult to share work has a cost in the long run that
might, and will, impact on the quality of Openstack packages for Debian.

Thanks for your interest in packaging Openstack!
Cheers.