Re: oops I sent a courtesy copy in violation of the code of conduct

* jidanni@jidanni.org [2011-03-12 11:14 +0800]:
> Recently I replied to a certain message on this list with my familiar
>   S W runs the command gnus-summary-wide-reply-with-original
> keystrokes, only to receive
>
> >I'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC me:
> >No need to reply to this message.

I set Mail-Followup-To: on every mail I send to *@lists.debian.org.
Most DDs just ignore it (though there are some exceptions) and this
renders using Mail-Followup-To: to get a copy to be rather useless.

There are examples where we lost potential future maintainers because
they never received a reply to an RFS.  These replies were sent to the
list, but they were not sent to those requesting sponsorship.

> Therefore perhaps
> http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
> could be amended to mention that adding a Mail-Followup-To header might
> add an additional wall of defense for those who wish to cut down even
> further the possibility they might receive a courtesy copy from the less
> technically adept.

I agree.

If a message I reply to contains a Mail-Followup-To: set, I use it.  If
not, I guess if the person I reply to wants to receive a reply.  To
prevent me to Cc: you, you need to explicitly set Mail-Followup-To: to
the list.

Carsten