Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

]] Timo Juhani Lindfors

| Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
| > The problem was at least until update-rc.d grew the «disable» argument
| > that disabling a daemon using update-rc.d was quite hard.
|
| update-rc.d foo disable is indeed convenient.
|
| update-rc.d and policy-rc.d are currently two separate interfaces. If I
| want to make sure that a service is never started I need to modify both:
|
| 1) policy-rc.d to make sure that the service does not start when the
| package is installed/upgraded/logrotated

The only reason for having a policy-rc.d would be to make sure it does
not start on initial installation.  If invoke-rc.d starts services on
upgrades after you've done update-rc.d disable $service, that sound like
a bug.

--
Tollef Fog Heen