What bug reports are for

Le dimanche 27 février 2011 à 14:50 +0200, Dmitry Baryshev a écrit :
> Who should do this investigation? I did it because I know how to debug
> this. If user don't know how to debug this, his bug report will be
> closed without reassigning to proper package. Hence this investigation
> should be done by maintainer, not user.

You seem to forget the very reason bug reports are here. Their point is
not to offer a service to our users - if you want that, you’ll need paid
support. Bug reports are here to help improving the distribution.

Now, maintainers receive a lot of bug reports, and have limited time to
spare on Debian. Given the choice between:
     1. packaging a new upstream release that fixes a lot of bugs;
     2. fixing a nicely reported bug with a reproducible and
        well-identified cause;
     3. investigating a dubious bug report that seems to be triggered by
        a broken user configuration;
only masochistic maintainers will spend time on #3 when they can help a
lot more users on #1 and #2. It’s not that it’s easier (I remember
spending entire days on single bugs), but it’s more useful.

Now, if you spend enough time investigating to be able to tell, at the
very least, “this is a bug in library foo which is reproducible by doing
bar”, your report might go from #3 to #2 and get fixed.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :