Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:30:29AM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:

> > Of course I'm not taking it for granted that you would accept these packages
> > into squeeze and intended to ask you if this would be ok, once there were
> > actual patches to be considered.  But since you're here: would targeted
> > patches to backport support for :any/:native be ok for a stable update?  :-)

> Is this just about parsing/accepting them or also more intrusive dependency
> analysis?  For basic parsing support that might be ok if the patch is sanely
> reviewable and guaranteed not to cause regressions.  No guarantees about
> acceptable, though.[*]

Strictly about parsing them.

> [*] It's also a bit of cheating if we allow such updates into stable.
>     Why didn't we add other compression formats and other source formats to
>     dpkg in stable then; we did claim that you need to wait a cycle for them to
>     be used.  I don't want that can of worms to be opened.

I see your point.  Actually, I was thinking in terms of this being required
only on the buildds; but anyone upgrading from squeeze .0 to wheezy would
also be impacted if they tried to use a dpkg and/or apt that didn't
understand this syntax.  We might have no choice but to defer use of :any
until the wheezy release. :/