Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 01:08:51PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> And although for the most part the roll-out of multiarch is intended to be
> backwards-compatible and a smooth transition, there are two small extensions
> required to the package relationship fields in order to deploy a full
> multiarch stack in the archive.  The archive software doesn't need to
> *support* these extensions in the context of a self-hosting port, but
> anything that parses deps or build-deps (dak?, sbuild, wanna-build) should
> recognize these extensions and strip them off:
>
>  - Depends: foo:any - an extension used to declare that foo of any
>    architecture satisfies the dependency.  The archive and official
>    autobuilders should treat this as equivalent to 'Depends: foo'.[1]

sbuild switched to using Dpkg::Deps for parsing dependencies; we would
ideally want an equivalent to Dpkg::Deps::reduce_arch() to do the
stripping (if reduce_arch wasn't the appropriate place to do it
already).  This saves us from reimplementing yet another parser, and
it getting outdated; we currently use it for stripping dependencies
not needed for the build's architecture.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh