Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:06:42AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > You'd lose the notion of it being useful on other architectures (that's the
> > arch:all -> arch:i386 Raphael's talking about), though.  But then packages
> > like qemu-system would just depend on openbios-sparc:sparc, no?  If you
> > don't need to deal with them directly that'd be pretty transparent.

> The current Multi-Arch spec doesn't allow for such explicit dependencies
> (targeting a precise foreign architecture).

> But you can have "openbios-sparc:any" and assuming openbios-sparc is only
> available on sparc, the right package would be picked.

Well, the current Multi-Arch spec doesn't allow for it precisely because we
want ports to remain self-hosting in the first round.  So if openbios-sparc
is only available as an Architecture: sparc package, a Depends:
openbios-sparc:any is as bad as Depends: openbios-sparc:sparc for ensuring
packages remain installable within a single architecture.