Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 11:33:10 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Since there is no support for auto-building arch-independent binaries
> >
> > I would hope that throwing away developer built debs would also apply
> > to arch-independent packages, IIRC that was part of the proposal.
> > There was talk of a Build-Architecture field for Architecture: all
> > stuff that can only be built on certain architectures (firmware,
> > bootloaders etc where there is no cross-compiler available).
>
> Using Build-Architecture would be a workaround, it should not be
> needed once multiarch is in place and those packages are built for
> their respective architectures.

While technically true, this can be discussed. I can imagine that you
might not want to configure multiarch on your system just because you
need some bootloaders files (e.g. syslinux-common in a CD build process).

Using multi-arch to solve this problem means changing the package from
arch: all to arch: i386 (or the specific arch set that you're interested
in).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer