Re: Qt3 removal rational

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 01.12:57 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> Of course, we can simply orphan Qt 3, and hope somebody will step up to
> maintain it; we are unconvinced this is a responsible step for us to take
> as  it would place the maintenance burden of a large package onto the QA
> team.

If qt3 is really popular with scientific apps, which presumably are slow
moving targets which are not esaily /quickly ported to qt4, it should be
enough motivation for the people who need qt3 to take on the maintenance, so
no need to burden the QA team. You need a piece of software, you do the
necessary packaging work - it's that simple, at least in theory.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 40th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177