Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:29:58AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> We have written a bit about what's needed here:
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/bugs.html

A while ago I've reviewed a little bit which kind of contributions
distros are looking for, from people who are willing to get involved
with the distro (see #608400 for a corresponding goal).

Most distros are looking for "bug triager" and providing specific
documentation to train contributors in that direction. Historically in
Debian we haven't looked for that, beside the very much understandable
periodic cries for help from maintainers of popular package suites
(GNOME, KDE, etc.).

Maybe its time to generalize that? For instance, it seems to me that
most of the above documentation by the KDE team is general and can be
used to document a general "bug triaging" task on our "how to
contribute" pages? Looking on wiki.d.o and www.d.o we don't seem to have
much (any?) of it.

Would anyone be against inviting explicitly that kind of contributions?

Note: I'm well aware that some contributors are going to make mistakes
and do bad triaging at times, there's now way around that, but I don't
think it's a valid reason not to try.

Cheers.