Re: squeeze will have googleearth-package

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 04:38:57PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2011-01-07, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> > squeeze will have googleearth-package, it was unblocked yesterday.
>
> It won't have a googleearth package, though.
>
> And it will have literally about 17200 packages in main on i386.  And
> about 15580 source packages.  They come with a free license, too.  And
> have figuratively millions of users, I'm sure of it.  And hey, it will
> even release with firmware-linux-nonfree, keeping our non-favourite
> hardware components working, and it only has half the userbase of
> firmware-linux-free!
[...]

Note that firmware-linux-free is recommended by linux-image-* therefore
installed by default in squeeze, while firmware-linux-nonfree is merely
mentioned in a debconf prompt on upgrade if it appears to be needed by
the new version of a module that is currently loaded.  This means that
firmware-linux-nonfree is unlikely to be installed if not needed.  If
you were to add in some of the other firmware packages (-atheros, -bnx2,
-iwlwifi, -ralink, -realtek) you would see an even larger fraction.
This is unfortunate but not hugely surprising to me.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus