Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 05:11:17PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:

> For both libgpg-error-dev and libgcrypt11-dev you moved the .so
> symlink ,the *.a and *.la libtool files to /lib too.
>
> My original patch [1] for libcryptsetup (#604936) handled this
> diffently. It only moved the *.so.* files to /lib and kept all
> devel related files in /usr/lib. This looked like the right way
> to me.

 For these cases moving the SONAME and the actual file to /lib
 and keeping the development symlink (.so) along with the static
 library (.a) in /usr/lib makes sense, particularly if you take
 into account that the static library might be a large file.

 Also, note the FHS says "shared library images", not simply
 "libraries", so no static libraries should be there in the first
 place.

 My hunch is "put the .la file in /usr/lib, too" but I haven't
 looked at libtool internals in a while, so I have no clue as to
 the effect of having the SONAME and the .la file in different
 directories.  Do note that the .la file does contain information
 about where the library was meant to be installed.

 I guess some scripts will break because of this, since it's not
 usual to have the SONAME in a different directory.

 My ₡0.02,

 Marcelo