Re: Debian bugs #700000 and #1000000 contest

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> I intended to come up with a recommendation which would support my
> working practices[1] to the release team.

> [1] which, back of the envelope, top-of-my-head, would be something
> like: a minimum gap between freeze announcement and commencement,

When writing up this document, it would be useful if you'd address as part
of that document what you would do differently than when we took that
approach in the past and/or why you believe things have changed such that
this won't fail in the ways that it has in the past.  That will be the
first thing that people are likely to say in response, so it would be
helpful if you addressed it up-front.

> and ideally commitment to release date for Debian N at release of Debian
> N-1,

There's absolutely no way that Debian could commit to a release date given
our current mechanisms and archive policy, and I have a hard time
imagining an archive policy that would permit that.

Committing to a *freeze* date might be possible, and indeed has been
proposed in the past.