Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

Hi, Michael:

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 00:38:41 Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,

[...]

> The idea is, to have a distinct group. Members of that group have
> administrative privileges using sudo and PolicKit.

[...]

> While I think the idea of using a distinct group for users with
> administrative privileges is a very good one, I'm not sure if using the
> group name "sudo" is the right choice, for two reasons:
>
> 1/ The sudo group in previous Debian releases had a different meaning:
> Members of groups sudo could run sudo without needing a password.
>
> 2/ Using the name sudo in context of PolicyKit sounds weird and misleading.
>

> So, I'm wondering if we shouldn't pick a more neutral name without a
> previous history in Debian.

What about the old-fashioned "wheel" group[1]?

Now, prior to resurrect the 'wheel' group, please take into account why
there's neither wheel group nor wheel support for su on GNU systems and see
if the concerns are still valid in this new environment.

Cheers.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)