Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Ian Jackson wrote:
> 2nd, related, fallacy: Everyone has a useful contribution to make to
> Debian. This is not the case.

Even though not everyone may have a useful contribution, we need the
contributions of people who actually can contribute usefully.

Discouraging useless contributions is fine to a point, but done
improperly, it can also alienate those who contribute usefully (or
want to contribute usefully.)

> Often empowering our users means _avoiding_ encouraging them to
> communicate with us, because we can't do our work if they all do.

The best thing we can do is to try to empower our users to provide
useful contributions in a manner that scales without requiring linear
increases in developer time.

Don Armstrong

--
If god is always watching over us