Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

"Jesús M. Navarro" <jesus.navarro@undominio.net> writes:

>  "so good that *I* will prefer it over others".

The problem with this is that we all(?) already prefer Debian.

In my eyes, there is no question about which distro to choose.  I prefer
Debian for so many reasons that I'm not sure I'm able to list them all.
But some of them are
 - active mailing lists
 - bug tracker with actual content
 - reliability and managebility
 - responsive developers
 - large package base
 - a per package choice between stability and bleeding egde

The only downside I can think of is the extremist "free" definition, but
I can live with that.

But I don't think my reasons for choosing Debian can be applied to the
masses.  They probably don't care much about how easy bug fixing is, and
a large number of packages is not important if the version of package X
is "too old". I believe they only care about:
 business user: "can I buy a Linux OS from someone, inluding support?"
 home user: "what do my friends use?"

And the answers to those two questions are currenly "RHEL" and "Ubuntu".

Bjørn