Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

On 22.07.2010 10:38, Andreas Tille wrote:

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:28:36AM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
IMHO we should care about improving Debian, going toward the perfection,
not about increasing the number of users (which should
be a nice secondary effect).

So you have even found the answer to the question - or rather you
pronounced it differently, because whe need to ask:  "What exactly is
perfection?"  In my eyes perfection means:  "So good that people will
prefer it over others."

Not really. A lot of people like the "enough good" and they
change only if/when "enough is not sufficiently ''enough''".

So, let see how to improve Debian, not how to increase
our userbase!

I do not think that we succeed in improving Debian if the userbase is
decreasing.  IMHO this would mean we are trapped in an ivory tower.  So
both parameters "quality of distribution" and "number of users" are
somehow connected and you can not ignore this relation.

Yes, my point is that we should think how to improve Debian (from
our selfish point of view: an happy hacker programs more), and
then users will follow us.

But the thread seems like: what we could steal from other distributions
to gain some market share. But I think all distribution are different and should try to be different, so ok to copy if we improve ourself,
but not copying only to attract users.

IMHO the priorities are:
1- enjoy us (thus indirectly also to be proud of our product, so enjoying users)
2- quality and freedom
3- increase GNU/Linux (and other free kernels) users
4- increase our users

IMHO most of this thread discusses only to the last point, without
thinking some negative effects on the other points

[OTOH the above priorities are my personal opinion, not project wide manifest, so..]

ciao
	cate