Re: "Waqf" General Public License in Debian?

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:12:55 +0430, Mohammad Ebrahim Mohammadi Panah
<ebrahim@mohammadi.ir> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer
> <calestyo@scientia.net> wrote:
>>> Oh suuuuuure. "We are all about freedom, but please no religional
>>> stuff. Oh, and while we are at, get away with porn. And alcohol is bad
>>> too, anything that can help people there, get away....."
>>> Thats not how it works, we cant ask anyone putting things in main to
not
>>> discriminate against persons/groups/fields and then discriminate on our
>>> own.
>> I guess it's quite easy for to judge things like this using common
>> sense...
>
> I don't think my common sense is anything near yours. Isn't Debian
> supposed to be for all of us?
I think this is not the question at all. I clearly agree with adding
packages related to religious stuff, and this application has a right to be
in Debian too. But there is this serious problem with the license: Relying
on "Islamic laws" is not acceptable. The license text is full of references
to prophets sayings and "permissive principles of Islam". I don't thing
this is compliant with the DFSG, cause it does not explain clear enough
what you can do with the software and even Muslims have do argue about it.
In my opinion relying on religious stuff in licenses should not be
permitted. If upstream chooses a BSD-style license etc. there should be no
problem to accept this upload.
I think the ftp-masters will do the right thing too, but I'm sure they need
to think a lot about it before they make a decision.

Just my 2 cents...