Re: UPG and the default umask

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

> If all current Debian systems support a 32-bit UID and GID range, then
> it would be great if we could amend Policy to move the reserved ranges
> to the end of the 32-bit range rather than being at the end of the
> 16-bit range.  This would give a vast contiguous user range (4294931294
> UIDs using the scheme below)

You can't move the static reserved space: it contains statically assigned
UIDs.  :)  That's the whole point of it.  We could change where we're
assigning future static UIDs and GIDs from, but I'm not sure it's worth
the effort given that there's always going to have to be a legacy reserved
space for the ones that were already assigned.

> Additionally, user nobody would then be in the middle of the user
> range; it could be shifted back to the end of the 32-bit range.

I don't think it's a good idea to let people assign 65535 to a regular
user.  That's been hardcoded as nobody in a vast number of UNIX systems
for decades.  Reusing that UID for other purposes in any sort of shared
infrastructure is almost certain to cause problems.