Re: UPG and the default umask

For the record: I've changed the umask setting in /etc/profile to this:

if [ "`id -u`" -ge 1000 ]; then
  umask 002
else
  umask 022
fi

which is fully consistent with Debian policy when it says that user
accounts, by default, start at uid 1000.

So, this is now a very simple rule (umask 002) with a very simple
exception (not an user account), and I'm now confortable enough with
it to not ask it to be moved elsewhere (PAM or login.defs).

Some people proposed complex code to determine whether UPG was in use
for system users. Such thing would be an "exception to the exception"
and as such I think it would be a bad thing, as it would make things
a lot more complex without any real gain.

Thanks.