Re: UPG and the default umask

Hi,

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Santiago Vila wrote:
> So I agree that the sane thing to do here is, at least, to use the
> same default range as /etc/adduser.conf (which in turn is the range
> defined by policy).
>
> I've just modified base-files accordingly to use the UID range 1000-29999.

I'm not sure this makes lots of sense.

hertzog@alioth:~$ id -u maximilinux-guest
220227

There are many installations out there with large numbers of users that
simply can't respect the ranges set by the policy.

I would simply use a minimum of 500 or 1000 to differentiate system users
from normal users. adduser is not a required step to create accounts when
you manage your account database in LDAP/PostgreSQL (or whatever else).

Having a different behaviour betweent accounts simply because some are
above the maximal limits and some are below would be counter productive.

The policy was written when uid/gid were only 16 bits but our systems cope
with greater number of users nowadays... maybe the policy should be
revised on that point.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog