Re: UPG and the default umask

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Further discussion however shows that other than root, system users
> > don't have login shells, and as such, won't process the /etc/profile
> > file. Also, because root has its own UPG, there's really no need for the
> > logic. My only question is then, why is their default shell /bin/sh, and
> > not /bin/false or /usr/sbin/nologin if they indeed are not login shells?
>
> Because the further discussion was wrong.  System users have login shells
> in Debian.  (I consider this a very long-standing bug.)

They have login shells in the sense that their shell field in /etc/passwd
is /bin/sh, but if they do not really "login" to the system, then they
do not read /etc/profile.

In either case, if we plan to set default umask in /etc/login.defs or
using PAM, I will happily drop the umask setting from /etc/profile,
as we don't need to have the required "logic" by duplicate.