Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

]]  (Marco d'Itri)

| Removing the Essential flag from sysvinit would allow interested admins
| to install upstart on their systems if they want to benefit from its
| features. I am not sure how much useful it would be to also switch to
| upstart by default in this scenario, I welcome other opinions.

I just filed an ITP on systemd and am planning on making it installable
alongside with sysvinit, switchable with init=/sbin/systemd when
booting.  Eventually, I guess either using alternatives for /sbin/init
or dpkg-divert-ing it away from sysvinit might be the way to go.  Either
way, whether sysvinit is Essential or not is a bit irrelevant to whether
people can experiment with other init systems.

--
Tollef Fog Heen