Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 09:11:56PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> These days, the init.d script dependencies in Squeeze are quite
> complete, so complete that it is actually possible to run all the
> init.d scripts in parallell based on these dependencies.
<snip>
> Running scripts in parallel could be the default in Debian when we
> manage to get the init.d script dependencies complete and correct.  I
> expect we will get there in Squeeze+1, if we get manage to test and
> fix the remaining issues.

From your message I can't exactly tell why we can't have it for
Squeeze. My personal experience is that I've been using
CONCURRENCY=makefile since several months now, and I've never run into
problems.

Can't we just make it the default for Squeeze? (which would presumably
mean changing the default *now* in testing to seek the most feedback
possible before the actual release) If not, do you have a list of bugs
that block us from doing that? Or comments from the release team that
consider that not appropriate, or ...

The init.d world has changed quite a bit in recent years and might
change even more in the next, it is possible that for Squeeze+1 we'll
want to be elsewhere than at CONCURRENCY=makefile.

Cheers.