Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On 05/08/2010 11:47 AM, Julien Cristau wrote:
On Fri, May  7, 2010 at 19:27:54 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

(Beside the nitpick on "we want" vs "we possibly want") I'd argue that
it's because we want a faster boot from our users ASAP.

As far as I'm concerned, "faster boot" is irrelevant.  Using an init
daemon that actually does its job of supervising services, and lets us
get rid of most of the stupidity and boilerplate of init scripts, otoh,
is overdue.

I think supervising services and faster boot are nice. Faster boot is nice for end users as well as for servers. The latter mainly because it gives more time for actual response time in case of an intervention that needs down time.

Cheers

Luk