Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

  Hi,

On 10/12/2010 13:59, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
>> People who do need this can build multiple versions, install them
>> into different prefixes and then set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to select
>> the variant they want at configure time.  Unlike Boost, which has
>> to support Windows, we can support multiple versions very easily
>> without the need for encoding additional information into the library
>> name.
>
> You're encoding it in the path instead, which seems worse.

  I'm coming here as a programmer that knows some things about
libraries and linking on Linux (but nothing on windows nor about
boost).
  If, as a programmer, I want to use boost, what do I have to know ?
(ie, what should I decide ?) How this can be done actually or in the
future is not my point for now.

  If I correctly understand from this discussion, when I want to
compile a program using boost:
[A] I need to know which part of boost I want to use (filesystem, ...)
  Comment: it is normal and expected when using a group of libraries
[B] I do not need select a version
  Comment: I want to use the currently installed version (hopefully the
    last). If really needed, I can force the build with another version by
    setting up paths (INCLUDEPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, "-I" and "-L" flags, ...)
[C] selection of the "tool chain"
  Comment: this seems to be very boost specific!
    For what I saw, there is the MT/no thread choice. Are there others ?
  It is possible that boost will be used by different libraries that will
  built a single program. So, different versions by toolchain must work
  together in a single program. In particular, nowadays, a library using
  boost must suppose that it will be used in a multithreaded program.
    Perhaps a distribution will only provide a single version (MT in this
  case, as for lots of other libraries)

  Now, if we want to use pkg-config (and I think it is a must for such a
general-purpose library), the choices that must be done by boost users
must be encoded into .pc name (and only them).
For [A], it will be the library/'part of boost' name
For [B]: none
For [C], it will be a suffix if this is really needed (but, here again,
  support for MT is really a must nowadays for system libraries: are there
  other toolchain selection?)

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87