Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 10:57:59PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> >> BTW, got my mail about auto linking?
> >
> > I saw it, yes.  I'm not sure how MSVC implements auto-linking, but
> > I would be concerned about the determinism of such behaviour,
> > especially when a given symbol could be satisfied by a number of
> > different libraries.  For Boost, a given symbol might be satisfied
> > by a number of different library versions which could be installed
> > concurrently; how would you know which was the correct one?
>
> The header knows what version it is, so it can use that to link to the
> correct lib.

The header is just a text file.  It doesn't contain any library
dependency information (or version information) at all, and there's
no way to associate a given header with any shared library at all.
Untimately it's just expanded into your source file and passed
through the compiler; and libraries used there need to be linked
in (by you) at link time.

//  boost/filesystem/filesystem.hpp  -----------------------------------------//

//  Copyright Beman Dawes 2005

//  Use, modification, and distribution is subject to the Boost Software
//  License, Version 1.0. (See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at
//  http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

//  See library home page at http://www.boost.org/libs/filesystem

#ifndef BOOST_FILESYSTEM_FILESYSTEM_HPP
#define BOOST_FILESYSTEM_FILESYSTEM_HPP

#include <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>   // includes path.hpp
#include <boost/filesystem/convenience.hpp>

#endif

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh