Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 11:09:01PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> >> The header knows what version it is, so it can use that to link to the
> >> correct lib.
> >
> > The header is just a text file.  It doesn't contain any library
> > dependency information (or version information) at all, and there's
>
> boost/version.hpp

We only care about SONAME versions, not release versions, and we only
need to care about what is available to the linker, and headers aren't.

> > no way to associate a given header with any shared library at all.
>
> boost\filesystem\v3\config.hpp
> boost/config/auto_link.hpp

These are using proprietary vendor-specific #pragmas.  It's pretty
horrible, not to mention fragile--if any header fails to include the
correct bits of magic, it all falls apart.  If they had spent just
a fraction of the time implementing that to support pkg-config, we
wouldn't have a problem.

OTOH, that mechanism could feasibly be adapted to report the
library dependencies of the headers to auto-generate the necessary
pkg-config files, should anyone have the time to implement that
in auto_link.hpp and write a few tiny programs to spit out the
information.

Regards,
Roger

--