Re: debian can be better

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:29:33 +0100, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
wrote:
> Le lundi 01 novembre 2010 à 11:46 +0100, Matthias Klumpp a écrit :
>> > We do also for Tomboy, and this “space problem” is of similar scale
as
>> > the one we have for a pair of applications using C++ bindings.
>> Also true, but I don't know how much more space the Mono bindings need
>> compared to the C++ bindings... This would be interesting to find out!
>
> You can find out for yourself:
> Package: libgtk2.0-cil
> Installed-Size: 2560
>
> Package: libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
> Installed-Size: 5368
Wow! Never mind the C++ bindings are that big! But if you take all Mono
dependencies Tomboy depends on into account, take about 21MB. (GNote takes
a little less..)

>> > Personally I would be more worried by the “relies on compiz” part
than
>> > on the “designed for netbooks” part.
>> They say if a hardware does not meet the 3D-requirements, they will
have
>> fallback to the exiting GNOME-panel, which is the same as GNOME-Shell
>> will
>> do, so I don't see much difference here.
>
> I’m not worried about 3D, I said I’d be worried about compiz.
Ah, okay... Why? (I haven't done anything with Compiz or Mutter/Clutter
yet, so I really can't say which one is actually better.)

>> To the overall topic ("debian can be better"): I see Ubuntu as some
kind
>> of playground for new technologies. Debian should look at Ubuntu, and
>> they
>> already do look at it, and use stuff which works on Ubuntu and matches
>> the
>> Debian policy well. Debian is much more conservative than Ubuntu is,
but
>> if
>> some stuff Ubuntu uses turns out to be successful, Debian can use it
too.

> Please don’t tell Debian developers what they should do, unless you are
> willing to do it yourself.
I don't want to tell anyone what he/she should do, but IMHO it is useful
to look at Ubuntu, as everything a Ubuntu release will be tested by lots of
different users. I already do this for my packages, but I'm not in a
position to decide anything for Debian. I can only write down my opinion on
a topic, which is _never_ intended to tell someone to do something, it's
just a comment. (And just my opinion.)
Kind regards
    Matthias