Re: debian can be better

Le lundi 01 novembre 2010 à 11:46 +0100, Matthias Klumpp a écrit :
> > We do also for Tomboy, and this “space problem” is of similar scale as
> > the one we have for a pair of applications using C++ bindings.
> Also true, but I don't know how much more space the Mono bindings need
> compared to the C++ bindings... This would be interesting to find out!

You can find out for yourself:
Package: libgtk2.0-cil
Installed-Size: 2560

Package: libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
Installed-Size: 5368

> > Personally I would be more worried by the “relies on compiz” part than
> > on the “designed for netbooks” part.
> They say if a hardware does not meet the 3D-requirements, they will have a
> fallback to the exiting GNOME-panel, which is the same as GNOME-Shell will
> do, so I don't see much difference here.

I’m not worried about 3D, I said I’d be worried about compiz.

> To the overall topic ("debian can be better"): I see Ubuntu as some kind
> of playground for new technologies. Debian should look at Ubuntu, and they
> already do look at it, and use stuff which works on Ubuntu and matches the
> Debian policy well. Debian is much more conservative than Ubuntu is, but if
> some stuff Ubuntu uses turns out to be successful, Debian can use it too.

Please don’t tell Debian developers what they should do, unless you are
willing to do it yourself.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette