Re: Debian bugs #700000 and #1000000 contest

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:45:55 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I intended to come up with a recommendation which would support my
> > working practices[1] to the release team.
>
> > [1] which, back of the envelope, top-of-my-head, would be something
> > like: a minimum gap between freeze announcement and commencement,
>
> When writing up this document, it would be useful if you'd address as part
> of that document what you would do differently than when we took that
> approach in the past and/or why you believe things have changed such that
> this won't fail in the ways that it has in the past.  That will be the
> first thing that people are likely to say in response, so it would be
> helpful if you addressed it up-front.

At the very least, any recommendations should involve actually talking
to the release team because Russ' point is absolutely correct - there
were good reasons for the lack of a gap and these reasons persist.

It would be helpful if, once a release process starts (read once
"oldstable" is cleared out), maintainers were to help out by ensuring
that any uploads are "the last upload this package would need for a
stable release".

Last-minute and hasty uploads must be avoided - especially within a
release pre-freeze or freeze period.

--

Neil Williams