Re: Debian bugs #700000 and #1000000 contest

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:29:31AM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> I already only scan -private and -devel mailing lists once a week or so
> (due to spam), I was expecting important information on -devel-announce
> so I stopped doing what I was doing (see below), opened announce
> mailbox and was annoyed by the fact that 2nd class DDs like me (and
> their upstreams!) do not deserve information about freeze date in
> advance but they're feed with bug contest messages instead.

Piotr, it's very clear to me that you're still very much annoyed by the
freeze announcement that you and others found to be impromptu. I'm sorry
about that. I really am.

Although I can't speak for them, I think the release team is sorry too
about the inconveniences it has generated to you and other people.
Nevertheless they had to make a though decision, as far as I know, and
in such a decision there was no way to make *everybody* happy. Let's
acknowledge that they did take a decision, that they tried to diminish
inconveniences by starting with a soft freeze, that they acknowledged
that communication could have been better, and that they have also
stated that they want to improve communication about the release process
for Wheezy. So, you see, nobody considers that you or your upstreams "do
not deserve information", there is just room for improvement and people
who are working to actually deliver that improvement.

All that considered, I don't think you should continue blaming the
release team publicly---in several different places, including
completely off-topic places like ask.debian.net---for the very same
reason. It's not helping anyone including, I believe, you. Can we please
try to move past this? If you, or anybody else, think I can help in any
other way to move past this once and for all, please please please let
me know. There can be grudges in communities, as a matter of fact there
will probably always be grudges, but either we learn to get past them,
or we will trade-off the time we have to do fun stuff with time spent
grumbling about *past* grudges.

Cheers.

PS Note that all the above has nothing to do with your work for
   releasing Squeeze and, more generally, with your work within the
   Debian Python community. I have always considered it outstanding and
   the above is by no means meant to diminish its importance.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams