Re: Summary of CUT discussions (Was: unstable/testing/[pending/frozen/]stable)

On 09/26/2010 04:40 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi Luk,

Hi Lucas

Note that this is my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion
of the Release Team perse.

> On 26/09/10 at 15:55 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>> I think this is completely the wrong question, we'd better ask the
>> question: Why do freezes have to take that long?
>
> I would be interested in hearing your answer to that question. It would
> help to understand the rest of your mail. It seems to me that given our
> quality objectives and the fact that Debian is mostly developed by
> volunteer developers, it's difficult to do much better than we currently
> do regarding duration of freezes.

Of course there are multiple reasons. Though I think one of the most
obvious ones is that we as a project don't do a genuine stable release
often so sometimes delay the freeze willingly or not. Another reason
IMHO is that instead of working together and sharing the responsability
for a release we often tend to do the opposite: by not having clear and
timely communication on one hand and by trying to get the latest and
greatest last minute at the other hand.

I think we as Release Team should work on having better communication
with the project on timings of freezes and on why and how some decisions
are made. I also think we should evolve to having more responsability to
packaging teams and maintainers to choose the versions they want to help
support for a longer time.

On the other hand I hope packagers could refrain from trying to have
last minute changes and help on fixing the remaining issues faster.

>> I do think it's completely wrong to have the people causing the long
>> freezes benefit from another suite which fits better with not really
>> caring about stable, I'd rather have some peer pressure to have a
>> constantly usable testing which can be released fast (aka without a
>> long freeze being necessary).
>
> To me, it looks like almost everybody in Debian is causing long freezes,
> not a specific subset of the DDs. But you seem to disagree?

No, I surely cannot disagree atm. Though I do not want to promote
another suite which in effect shifts the attention even more from the
testing suite.

>> I do think having snapshots could help with that goal.
>
> I don't see how. Could you elaborate?

snapshots can be mini releases so they could help in having everyone
more familiar with releases and could hopefully help in making
communication, coordination and cooperation on releases easier.

Cheers

Luk