Re: Summary of CUT discussions (Was: unstable/testing/[pending/frozen/]stable)

On 09/23/2010 09:00 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 22/09/10 at 15:01 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>>> CUT discussions at debconf10 and recent news of the birth of Linux Mint
>>
>> discussions on CUT have continued after debconf on the CUT mailing. I
>> wrote a summary of the discussion that will be published in Linux Weekly
>> News before tomorrow.
>>
>> Hopefully this summary will then lead to a constructive discussion on the
>> way forward.
>
> Hi,
>
> Raphael's article is now published, and is probably a good basis for
> discussing CUT on -devel@.
> Free link: http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/406301/bd522adc828b3461/

Personally I have the feeling that if we would choose for rolling as
described in the article, that testing would actually get replaced by
rolling and we do not care about extensive architecture support anymore.
Not sure if we want to take that route. Personally I think we are
already taking the necessary steps to have a nice compromise regarding
architecture support as well as most removals. Certainly there are
improvements possible, though I'd rather have them implemented in
testing proper (even if we would rename testing ;-)).

Regarding the snapshots, I think that unless they are not frequent (aka
one about every 6 months) we'd better spend our energy on more frequent
d-i releases and just promote the use of testing more. If the snapshots
would not be frequent they could probably help the general release
process, be a better service to many users and maybe even help to solve
the problems we have with clamav and chromium related packages.

Cheers

Luk