Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

]] "Bernhard R. Link"

| > * Debian -- building things from the actual source is one of the core rules
|
| Especially for Debian maintainer mode is a big win. While it's nice if
| the maintainer regulary checks that those files still work with the
| current tools and submitts patches to upstream if not, doing so at every
| build without reason only means a less stable build process, users
| possibly not being able to recreate the package and stuff like that.

If they don't work, and we don't ship the needed auto* versions, we're
effectively distributing sourceless software, which is quite
problematic.  It is problematic both from a legal point of view as well
as from a practical/security point of view, since being able to build
all parts of a package is important in order to maintain it properly.

--
Tollef Fog Heen