Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

Le dimanche 19 septembre 2010 à 10:43 +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> Uhm, no.  AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is bad for:
> * upstream -- it forces manual rebuilds
> * non-distro users -- another issue to watch for while hacking on the
>            program.  As long as they don't modify the autotoolage, they
>            don't need autotools installed -- and if they did, they do want
>            to be told what they need instead of their modifications being
>            silently ignored.
> * Debian -- building things from the actual source is one of the core rules
>
> The only "benefit" that AM_MAINTAINER_MODE can bring is cleaner deb diffs,
> which can be obtained just as well by removing the modified generated files
> in "debian/rules clean".
>
> In fact, it would be nice to have a lintian check _against_ using that, and
> forcing --disable-maintainer-mode to configure if it's present in the
> upstream sources, since it being enabled means you're patching generated
> files.

You must be mistaken by automake’s counter-intuitiveness.

The infamous maintainer mode *is the default* when you don’t set the
macro. Setting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE actually disables maintainer mode
unless you set --enable-maintainer-mode (which brings back the default
behavior).

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette