Re: Is a bug RC relevant if it has an influence on the health of a person

Hi guys,

This thread is just surrealistic.

Le 09/09/10 15:17, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:34:09PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>> >From your description, I'd guess one of ???causes serious data loss??? (???
>> ???critical???)
>
> Strictly speaking I do not really regard  the problem in #596219 as a
> data loss - the available data are just not properly handled which can
> have a really bad effect.  I understood "serious data loss" as a random
> deletion of data this package or even another package would cause or
> things like this.

You lose one piece of information, which is data, and this piece of
information is bloody serious (pun intended).

Anyway, I believe some common sense has to be used at some point. Debian
policy is merely a compilation of what is admitted as the best practices
and what we believe packager "should" or "must" abide to. But if you
find a bug that in real life you would say is "grave", then don't even
look at what policy says "grave" means, it's grave, full stop.

You have a bug that could potentially kill people? Fix it, upload ASAP
and contact the security and release teams. And I don't care if it's not
the "normal procedure" and if it can piss off people, it's not nearly as
important as Doing What You Have To Do (TM). By the way, I don't think
it will piss anybody off.

And please, make all possible effort to warn your users about the
potential risk of using or having used the buggy version. And even if
it's only "I'm not sure, but it may well be serious enough to KILL
PEOPLE", bloody hell, why are you even asking?

I really wouldn't want to get into an airplane with a known bug which
could potentially crash the plane though it did not qualify as RC.

Regards, Thibaut.