Re: FYI: code.google.com downloads & uscan - fixed

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:02:15PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:37:21 +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:

> > > Can we expect this to be stable in future?
> > > During the short lifetime of the redirector -- it started in May -- Google
> > > changed their links once. And the redirector was born because they changed
> > > it before.
> >
> > Just wondering, are you sure the change you refer to was not the fix
> > itself? The fix went live around 26th August.
>
> Nope, the last one (which you read on debian-qa, probably) waas the fix itself.
> It changed once at the beginning (when uscan first broke, and when I made the
> redirector), and then another time during redirector's life.

Ah, I see. Interesting.

> > > I have no problem in shutting down googlecode.debian.net -- apart from the
> > > fact that people using it are forced to go back to code.google.com -- but
> > > I'd like not to touch my debian/watch files every two months :)
> >
> > I got a very good response from the developers once I got to them and
> > managed to explain what uscan is/its purpose, and what it needs to work.
> > Also, the href removal was unintended. So my personal feeling around
> > this is that it should be fine.
>
> ACK.
>
> I'm going to shut it down one of these days, after announcing it somewhere. I'm
> kind of busy right now :)

I think it would be best if you leave it running for a bit longer. The
problem is that many packages (I believe) have already changed their
URLs to use the redirector, and shutting it down now means that they'll
have to (hurry to) upload in the middle of the freeze :(

So if it doesn't cost anything, please leave it up a while longer. My
announcement was more along the lines "if you haven't converted, no need
to convert anymore", rather than "please convert back".

regards,
iustin