Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 11:05 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> We already have the logic in there to mount anything as /.
> Well..... at least if it's a very plain setup... (see
> http://wiki.debian.org/AdvancedStartupShutdownWithMultilayeredBlockDevices)
>
>>  /usr can't be
>> any harder so that isn't an argument.
> Again,... depending on how complicated this is,... maybe multiple
> stacked block layers, some over network, etc etc. this could require
> much (more) stuff added to the initramfs.

No it doesn't. I could already put my / on lvm on dmcrypt on raid on
dmcrypt on lvm on raid on raid on dmcrypt on lvm. /usr doesn't allow new
modes of stacking.

The hard part is getting stacked layers to work in general. The udev
rules for lvm and mdadm go a long way there. If dmcrypt now also adds
rules (does it already have them? How do you ask for a passphrase from a
udev rule?) arbitrary stacking would be supported at the cost of having
udev in the ramdisk.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I've used / on nbd in the past. Fun.