Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

Sven Mueller <sven@incase.de> writes:
> Am 10.08.2010 17:54, schrieb Russ Allbery:

>> Unfortunately, there isn't any way to check this in Lintian since
>> Lintian has no idea whether a given library will be found in /lib or in
>> /usr/lib.  It's one of those things that needs to be done in a
>> cross-archive check that has access to data about multiple packages at
>> once.

> I might be wrong here, but if lintian finds the library a package
> depends on installed on the system where lintian is run, it could at
> least catch some of these errors. Alternatively, if apt-file is
> installed, or a Contents.<arch> is available, it could use the
> information from there.

> Still, this would require implementation by someone knowing lintian
> well. Also, I admit that a cross-archive check would be more efficient.

We also intentionally don't do things in Lintian that vary by what
packages you have installed, since one of the goals of Lintian is
reproducible tags, and we're worried about the frustration and confusion
that could happen if different people running the same version of Lintian
on the same package get different results.