Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

Am 10.08.2010 17:54, schrieb Russ Allbery:
> Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:
>
>> It might be worth having a Lintian check for the situation you describe,
>> since missing libraries will generally prevent the executable from
>> starting up at all, whereas missing bits of /usr/share or /var might not
>> be so important.
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't any way to check this in Lintian since Lintian
> has no idea whether a given library will be found in /lib or in /usr/lib.
> It's one of those things that needs to be done in a cross-archive check
> that has access to data about multiple packages at once.

I might be wrong here, but if lintian finds the library a package
depends on installed on the system where lintian is run, it could at
least catch some of these errors. Alternatively, if apt-file is
installed, or a Contents.<arch> is available, it could use the
information from there.
Still, this would require implementation by someone knowing lintian
well. Also, I admit that a cross-archive check would be more efficient.

regards,
Sven