Re: libexplain: need access to debian alpha machine

Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Peter Miller <pmiller@opensource.org.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get my libexplain project [1] to build on Debian alpha.
>>> I don't actually have access to an alpha machine, so my feedback loop is
>>> via the Debian build farm [2]... one fix per release.
>>>
>>> This isn't completely satisfactory.  Can anyone suggest a dev machine I
>>> can ssh to, and do the edit-build-test loop more efficiently?
>>
>> There is one alpha porterbox available:
>>
>> http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=albeniz
>>
>> It is listed as public rather than developer only so as a non-DD you
>> would probably be able to get access. Please contact the Debian
>> sysadmins about it.
>
> BTW for new debian port could we ask to have a qemu port functionnal ?
> HPPA and alpha are not emulated and it is a real pain to debug this
> kind of stuff, particularly if you are often offline like me.
>
> Bastien

That would IMHO be a rather hard requirement for small benefit, as (that's
one reason, there are others) qemu can hide issues: e.g. I had an armel
segfault during a build that was not reproducible in a qemu instance, only
on a real machine.

Having qemu support can be very useful, but it's far from being the holy
grail for porting to exotic architectures. IMHO…

OdyX