Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

* Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> [100816 20:21]:
> The most reasonable argument against altering such things is that
> after decades, people are used to the whole /usr thing and the fight
> to change it isn't worthwhile. That I will agree with -- see the
> emotional reactions people get when you suggest their preferred layout
> is an "onion".

Accusion people of irrational behaviour almost always results in
irrational behviour. Either they were irrational already before or
making false insulting accusations. So I should better not tell you
that accusing people of irrational behaviour is quite irrational...

Also do not confuse two things. It is one thing to fight for being
able to do without /usr. That would need some work (I think HURD
tried it, but I lost track about it) but is a worthy goal though
perhaps not worth the work for so little benefits.
It is something else to suggest no longer supporting a /usr on
its own partition. This will break people's setups and just telling
them their setups are stupid or make no sense as they make no sense
with your weighting of factors will not make their reactions look
rational from your point of view.

	Bernhard R. Link