Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

On 16.08.2010 01:22, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:00:23 -0700 Steve Langasek<vorlon@debian.org>
wrote:
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 06:30:04PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
By the early 1990s this was long since unneeded but people
continued to do it anyway, and in fact started to think it was
done for technical reasons rather than because of a simple lack
of space in an earlier era. At this point (2010), with all of the
system files fitting in under a dollar's worth of disk space,
people tell themselves quite elaborate "just so" stories about
why the segregation is maintained.

You wrongly assume here that every Unix system has a hard drive as
its root filesystem.  Some root devices cost a lot more than a
dollar for that amount of disk.

Ah, onions.

I consider it offensive, so please consider that some people
know what they are using.

As you can easily check, there is a lot of Debian installation
who use networked disks. Usually not embedded devices, but usual
desktop installations (e.g. using huge number of desktops as in
schools or corporate environments).
In this case the separation of /usr and / is still important.

And Debian still don't have a live distribution to be used for
rescue, so a minimal / is essential, also for emergency
backup uses. [BTW I don't think that we could have a CD-ROM
or USB live/emergency disk on all architectures].

If you don't use it, or if there are alternatives (but
it is still to prove that such alternatives are easier) don't
mean that who use it, used it as your onions. Probably with
time it will become useless, but your "early 1990" should be
read "late 2010 (or later)".

IMHO you should write things more neutral, and maybe reading
the old discussion, with real case usages, before to
imply idiocy to people arguing for the need of /usr as
separate partition. (and IMHO it is not a big issue
or things that make complexer the filesystem).

PS: With the exception for this threading (with an "automatic
tools" to find misplaced programs/libraries), usually the
bugs are reported because real use cases (real usefull onions).

ciao
	cate

PS:
There are some other strange things in our file system
partition: the split of architecture independent to architecture
depend things. In such cases I don't think there are
many uses, and the spare disk usage is also not so relevant
[although we consider that we have a lot of architectures].
But maybe there are use cases.