Re: RFC: Policy 10.1 and appropriateness of package conflicts

Le vendredi 13 août 2010, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> I see.  Couldn't you arrange to automatically update the default user
> PATH ?  (After asking a suitable debconf question.)  That would avoid
> having to Conflict with other packages and would make it possible for
> users of this fsl nonsense and users of different nonsense to coexist
> on the same machine :-).

That would remind me of poorly integrated operating systems, that are
unable to group the executables in dedicated directories, giving the
user the choice between:
- typing the full path of the software he wants to use, like
  "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\bin\psql";
- adding all his software's directories to his PATH, resulting in a
  kilometric PATH.

I do not know if there is another good solution here, but doing such a
thing would seem *ugly* to me. We have the chance to have a very good
integration of all the software we distribute, compared to some very
popular competitors, let us not break that.

--
Tanguy Ortolo