Re: Raw Idea: one more control field for sponsors

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> writes:
>
>> while working on a package I'm going to sponsor, it occurred to me
>> with all the DD, DM and sponsoring going on, that I'd like to have a
>> field in debian/control, like eg.
>>
>> Bugs-To: some_dd@debian.org, ...
>
> In the source package stanza, or the binary package stanza?
>
>> to have some_dd@debian.org automatically subscribed to the bugs for
>> this package, much in the same vein as the 'Uploaders:' field works.
>
> This appears to duplicate functionality of the Package Tracking System
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/resources.html#pkg-tracking-system>.
> Why is the PTS insufficient for this purpose?
>
> (I'm not weighing in either way, I just think that adding duplicate
> behaviour needs justification one way or another.)

I would think this could be usefull if it wouldn't subscribe the person
to the PTS permanently but only for as long as the package exists in the
archive.

This could then be used by one-shot sponsors and NMUers so they do get
bug reports for as long as the sponsored/NMUed package exist. But if the
next upload is sponsored by someone else or the NMU acknowledged they
would stop getting bug reports.

The PTS is insufficient for this purpose as it can't automatically
unsubscribe people when their package is superceeded.

MfG
        Goswin