Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

On 26 July 2010 17:31, Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:05:19 +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:
> I spotted this topic in Debian Project News. I am a non-technical Debian
> user (Lenny AMD 64 bit)   - I have tried Ubuntu a couple of times but came
> back to Debian because of its stability. The main problem I have is lack of
> up to date Flash in the browser (Iceweasel) and I think this is a common
> problem with other users. I have to resort to using  Microsoft Windows
> sometimes as Flash is being used more and more by websites. Maybe it's a
> Linux problem not just Debian - I don't know, but it is frustrating.

This is a bit off-topic for debian-devel, and should probably be posted
as a question to debian-user@lists.debian.org.  Please send replies
there.

Up-to-date flash support is provided by the flashplugin-nonfree package
available from Debian's unofficial backports.org [0].  There is no
gnash backport available, but that would be something nice to have
if someone were interested in that (each backport needs an interested
maintainer).

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions