Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:49:00 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Brian May writes ("Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number  of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling"):
> > I would really like to see a HTML/HTTP browser based interface for the
> > BTS. I would have several advantages:
>
> I would strongly resist any such suggestion, for the reasons I have
> already explained.
>
> In summary: We don't have a lack of bug reports, we have a lack of
> developer time.  Increasing the number of bug reports will take away
> developer time for triage, for no benefit.
>
> Simply, we do not need to, and should not, make reporting bugs easier.

As a point of reference, Ubuntu disabled their easy-to-find http bug
submission page because of this very problem.  Although it is still
possible to submit bugs via http, you need to know the url scheme;
something like http://launchpad.net/bugs/<package>/+submit.

I think detailed bug submission instructions (including philosophy on
why bugs are useful, how Debian is different/good WRT bug fixing, and
how to write a good report) in the default browser home pages would go a
lot further toward educating users and improving bug reports than
anything else. A reportbug-ng quicklaunch icon by default on all of the
desktop environments may be useful as well.

Best wishes,
Mike